Our Free Trial course is a small sample of our comprehensive guide to proofreading. This module will give you a great idea of the style and content of our Becoming a Proofreader course as it’s an excerpt from our punctuation module.
The Free Trial takes approximately 20 minutes to complete and you will learn about:
Proofreading and Editing
- The differences between substantive editing, mechanical editing, and proofreading
- What you need to know to proofread in Microsoft Word
- How to check which edition of Microsoft Word you have
- How to check the proofing language
Common Spelling Mistakes: Homophones
- What a homophone is
Common Grammar Mistakes: Faulty Agreement
- Subject–verb agreement
- Noun–pronoun agreement
Hyphens, Em Dashes, and En Dashes
- Telling them apart
- When to hyphenate
- The Em Dash
- The En Dash
- A Try It For Yourself document to practice proofreading
- A module quiz to test your knowledge
Remember that our Becoming A Proofreader course will take you from a complete beginner to a confident trained professional, ready to start work. To give you a hand-up into the industry we include a freelance work guarantee with our partner company, Proofed, for all students who pass the final assessment with 80% and over.
We hope you enjoy your free trial of our Becoming A Proofreader course!
If you have any questions please contact us.